Friday, September 5, 2008

Introducing.........

THE "KODI" BEAR!!!!!

Kodi Snapshots

Oh gosh, have I been waiting to introduce you to my wonderful puppy, Kodi! He is an Abstract Standard poodle and I love his little "tux!"

I wish this post could be all pleasant however this poor boy has already been through a lot in his short life. I saw Kodi at the "Pet-go-round" pet store at the pembroke mall back when he was about 4 months old. The time not being right for a dog I resisted. I also don't like pet stores. Fast forward to him being 6 months old and he was still there. My dream of having a black standard poodle was in front of me and to be honest... the price was very VERY discounted and low. He was basically priced as a rescue and that truly is what he was.

He was a "purebred" Spoo (Standard Poodle) however it wasn't until after I got him I learned he was a product of the "hunte corporation." One of the worst.. and largest puppy mills in the US. The fact that he survived the journey to the pet store is amazing!

Once we got him home we learned that his ear plucking which the "groomer has been doing" had never EVER been done. So, at 6 months of age, his ears had NEVER been plucked or cleaned and were now very VERY infected. At the Vet that 1st week we not only had to take care of his ear infections, but because of lack of exercise and being kept in a tiny cage for 6 months, he had severe muscle atrophy in his legs. We also had hip concerns. On top of all that he was very scared of movement, noise, and was incredibly skittish. Couldn't walk on a leash, didn't move at all for 2 days! (We had to carry him out of our friends house and even in public! The 35 lb puppy who couldn't walk!)

This week our worst fears were confirmed. Kodi was diagnosed with Severe Hip Dysplasia in both hips. We are being referred to NC State's Orthopedic Surgery program to find out what he faces and what options we truly have. While his ear infections and atrophy are a result of the poor care and neglect of "pet go round" the hips are a direct result of his puppy mill breeding by the "hunte corporation." This is why I hate pet stores.

I wish that was the end of this horror. The day we purchased Kodi, a gentleman was in the store looking at a Great Dane puppy. Thad saw this while I was signing papers and said to the man, "Oh, the great dane! Those are wonderful dogs." The man replied, "I know! My wife had one growing up so I got this ones brother last week for her from the Lynnhaven mall location. He died this morning and she doesn't know as she is out of town. I don't know what to do or how to tell her."

Not only that but a few weeks later I found this at the store.
Why pet stores stink -iPhone
This poor puppy was dyed blue to advertise the dye... (The sign was on his cage "This puppy was dyed with the ___ dye which can be found in ___ aisle") but worse than that by someone who was clearly not experienced. Not only is his sensitive puppy skin subjected to the chemicals, but you can see (albeit badly in this photo) that the dye ran through his eyes and had tinted his fur around one eye!

Virginia Beach, PLEASE do not support this store which not only harms animals, but lies to you about their health (I was assured his ears were up on cleaning and he was cleared of hip issues) and gets their puppies from the worst breeder in America!

This doesn't just ruin 1 life (the dogs) but it ruins many. It has ruined the life of all those who know and love Kodi...

While we eagerly await our trip to NC state to learn what (if anything) we can do we are going to continue to love and play with our boy. I've slacked a lot with pictures of him as I'm so booked right now in wedding season ;-) but I have managed a few! Here is the amazing, loving, and fighter, Kodi Bear! (I named him "Kodi" after my favorite bear, the Kodiak ;-)

The scared pup in my car right after we bought him
My new pup, Kodi!

Another from his first day home
Kodi Snapshots

Kodi and his best friend, Nixon
Kodi-1004

First Beach trip
Kodi SnapshotsKodi Snapshots

Starting to break out of his shell
Kodi Snapshots

the first time we saw him "active!"
Kodi Snapshots

First Groom
Kodi's Haircut

"That" face
What?  It was just a rat, mom.

The Kodi Bear-1005

Ugh, awful pic of me, but he's my baby!
Bad pic of me, but he's my baby ;-)

Begging (Camera on a stair, on interval 4 a second for you geeks out there ;-)


The determined face
Get ready for it!

The pillow hog! He LOVES sleeping on pillows!
How a pampered spoo sleeps

That's the life of the Kodi bear! But seriously! Please take the time to research a proper breeder or rescue a dog that needs a home! Please don't support a dangerous place like "Pet go round" or puppy mills like the hunte corporation. (who ships out over 1,500 puppies a week, btw!) Read about the horrors here http://www.petstorecruelty.org/Hunte%20Corp.htm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live in Chesapeake! I am so sorry you and Kodi Bear are going through all this! This is all so sad.

If I might make as suggestion without offending you. This information you are putting out here is so important and the black background is horrendous to try to read and really hurts the eyes. Also legally blind people may not be able to read it at all. Perhaps you could change it to a lighter color background, for those people and old foogies like myself (grin) :)

I am going to put this info on my forum, with a link to here on your site.

Thank you for sharing this vital information. {{{{hugs}}} to you and Kodi Bear.